What to do
Entertainment Theaters and museums Tours Night life Shopping Rest The beaches Sight Храми та церкви Освіта Events
Where to stay
Hotels Hostels Apartments Mini hotels Sanatoriums
Where to eat
Restaurant Taste of Odessa Bars Confectionery Privoz Enotourism
Helpful information
How to get there Taxi Exchange Rates Weather Consulates Information centre Contacts
The house of Schultz

After the demolition of military facilities, the transfer of land plots to private hands and the construction of the luxurious palace of the grain magnate Zenon Brzhozovsky (Shah's Palace) in the middle of the 19th century, the land in the next block from the luxurious residence also did not remain empty, although whose house was here is still unknown.

Everything changed when Odessa merchant Yevgeny Ivanovich Shultz (1829 - 1909) became its owner in the mid-1870s, in the property register of which, among other things, there was a family residence on the opposite side of the street, at number 9 (later the number was changed to 11 ). The new owner in 1878 orders a project for the construction of a three-story mansion for a local celebrity, who laid the foundations of the street - to Felix Vikentievich

The main architectural accent of the building is, of course, four figures of the Atlanteans, executed in a somewhat free manner, different from the style of antiquity, which hold a massive balcony with graceful balusters on simple brackets on the second floor.

Although at the same time, the author of the project also paid attention to each part of the structure: so the first tier is decorated with French rusticum with wide window frames, accentuated by a keystone, separated by profiled cornices of the second - sandriques with rocailles and acanthus leaves, complemented by central cannulated half-columns of the Ionic order and a semicircular sandrick, the third, with a breakdown of the plane of the walls into mirrors, is complemented by profiled platbands with a cartouche curl in the form of a keystone.

The luxurious three-story house with four Ukrainian Atlanteans on the facade was intended from the moment of its completion for commercial purposes - its spacious apartments were rented out to the public of an average person, although sometimes fate presented surprises in order to preserve an architectural masterpiece on the pages of history - so in 1889 a talented Ukrainian poet Lesya Ukrainka (1871 - 1913) stayed in one of his apartments.

Share in social. I remembered: